Search This Blog

Friday, October 9, 2009

The Plane Ride

So I can't embed YouTube videos from this computer, but here's the music I had in mind: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j21ULe2hrY4



So, I've actually done a lot of flying, but usually it is of the 1 hour to 2 hours-variety, so this was a bit of a new experience for me. Here's what I did:

  • Flew from Little Rock to Dallas (about 45 min.)
  • 5 hour layover in Dallas
  • Flew from Dallas to Seoul (a little more than 14 hours)
  • Saw Seoul from the inside of the airport (it actually looks very similar to Texas from what I saw, i.e. nothing)
  • Waited another 5 hours to fly to Chiang Mai
  • Flew from Seoul to Chiang Mai (a 5 hour flight)

Needless to say, my ass isn't going anywhere near an airplane for six months.

(Ed note: I'm going into "bro"-mode for a second) One big positive of Korean Airlines is this: every stewardess is tall and very pretty. While this is rather sexist on my part, I will say that when you're crammed into a uncomfortable position for an extended period of time this attribute goes a long way. Thankfully, the flight itself was eventful, except for one instance on my part.

After Terminator: Salvation they showed this Korean movie called Chow. Chow, from what I could gather, was a B horror/comedy (think The Mummy, Snakes on a Plane, Evil Dead, etc.) revolving around a giant boar terrorizing the local population. Some of the comic relief provided was by an American redneck who was dressed in camo for the entire movie. I didn't really watch the movie, which I kind of regret now, but instead just dozed off. While dozing, I had some kind of day-dream or nightmare that the plane was crashing. Unfortunately, I had not forgotten this by the time I woke up. I wake confused as hell, because I'm on an airplane and I thought that I was dreaming that. Further, there were a bunch of strange noises coming from the movie, which in my panic I interpreted as the airplane's engine sputtering. Thinking that I was on the verge of death, I went into survival-mode, which, for me, is apparently doing nothing. I got as low into my chair as possible (practically on the floor) and looked around the plane at my fellow passengers, who were either asleep or watching the movie, with the big crazy eyes and wondered, "We're all going to die! Why the hell isn't anyone else panicking?" This lasted for about 10 min., during which my palms were sweating profusely. I eventually got to the point where I thought that we were still going to crash, but maybe not at this instant. So I convinced myself to read because it's better than waiting to die. I kept a death-grip on my Kindle for another 10 min. when the panic attack (or stupidity) finally wore off, and had a normal flight from then on. Needless to say, I'm really happy that the lights were turned off and that everyone else was asleep or ignoring me because it was damn pathetic on my part.

While we standing, waiting to get the airplane, I applied another layer of deodorant. It was really classy on my part, I know, but it was definitely better than the alternative. People with broad shoulders aren't meant to fly internationally. Dwight Howard probably smells like death after a 14-hour flight.

Anyway, in Seoul I met with Megan, who's also in the program, and we flew into Chiang Mai. The drive from the airport to the hotel was not quite as impressive as I thought it would be, probably because it was 1 in the morning and I couldn't see anything. In any case, I'm here to stay for at least another six months. I think I have all day to walk around and do whatever, so that's about it for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment