Search This Blog

Sunday, October 25, 2009

An Open Letter (and Ode) to My Brown Pumas

(As I write this, someone is playing a melancholy tune on the hotel piano, maybe it's better that way)

Hey guys,

This is a letter that I never wanted to write, and I never wanted for you to read. We've had some great times together these past 3 and a half years together, haven't we? You've been there for me a lot, like all those times I've drunkenly wandered for hours in downtown Little Rock, Fayetteville, and Chiang Mai. You've never complained at all, just kept trudging along. I probably haven't told you this enough, but I loved you more than any other pair of shoes I've ever owned. In fact, I am more attached to you than any person has a right to be to their shoes. Sure, we've had our rough patches, like when I bought those Penguins, but I've always come back to you.

I'm so sorry, but I can't come back to you anymore. It's really unfair of me to focus on the negatives after all the love you've given to me, but you do squeak and you are kind of falling apart. Don't take that the wrong way, you've held up better than any reasonable person could ever ask, especially after all you've been through. I never wanted to admit it, but those hikes up mountains and hours of walking have taken their toll. Surely you must ache all the time. I'd like to lie and say that I'm doing this for you, but it's for me as well.

Today when I was at the Chiang Mai mall (which is bigger than any mall I've been in), I just knew that it was time to find someone else. It was cruel of me to bring you when I did, but it was something I needed to do then and there. Truthfully, I thought that since I was in Asia I might as well go all-out and by some douchebag hipster shoes. Admittedly, I surprised that they were so expensive, considering that the Thai's are so poor. I mean, seriously, there's a reason why most places can't a take a 1,000 baht note (about $40), yet all these Western stores like Puma and Converse wanted 2,500-3,000. I mean Thai teaches earn 8,000 a month, that's a third of their paycheck. Who are these rich Thai's that buy all this? It's not like there were any Westerners in the mall.

But I digress. I saw those hipster Van's and I was enamored. Don't get me wrong, it's nothing like when I bought you. Even though it was close to 4 years ago, I remember it perfectly: I saw you at Journey and it was love at first sight. I like to think that you loved me then too. Then that guy at Journey tried to sell me a bootleg copy of Employee of the Month while I purchasing you and I knew that we had something special. You were never douchey hipster shoes, you were just cool.

I'm not quitting you completely. It's not like I'm going to throw you or anything. You know that you'll always have a place in my heart. Plus, I'll probably bust you out for those occasions when I don't care about Asia, I just care about me. You'll always be a part of me. Thanks for everything, I don't deserve your loyalty.

Scott

1 comment:

  1. Scott,

    Perhaps one day, your Pumas will serve as a mentor for the hipster Vans and teach them such qualities such as loyalty, friendship, and yes, even love. It's like getting a new puppy while the old dog is still around. At first, the old dog is grumpy and hates the damn thing, but as time goes on, the elder animal's traits begin to shine through in the young pup's budding existence. So carry on, and have hope for the future--hipster these shoes shall not always be.

    Love,
    Brooks and Becca

    ReplyDelete